Here are some quick facts about filing for unemployment due to a COVID-19 layoff from the Ohio Department of Job & Family Services.
- Individuals who are partially or totally unemployed due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak may qualify for unemployment benefits.
- Individuals who are under mandated quarantine or isolation as requested by the employer, medical professional, or by a local health authority, he/she may qualify for unemployment benefits.
- Eligible individuals will be paid for their first week of benefits and will not be required to serve the traditional one-week waiting period. Claimants will, however, be required to file a claim for each week that they are unemployed.
- Eligible individuals must meet the weekly requirements that they be “able and available for work,” however, the requirement that they actively search for work while receiving benefits has been waived.
- Eligible individuals are also exempt from completing traditional reemployment requirements.
- Individuals who decide to self-quarantine and quit their job, will not be eligible for unemployment benefits.