The United Way of Union County is working on behalf of the Union County Emergency Operations Center to organize response efforts for those facing difficulties during this time. The United Way in conjunction with Union County Neighbor to Neighbor, 2-1-1, Hope Center, food pantries and many other social service and non-profit partners are working together to build capacity to answer the call for help.
For families facing tough financial times, please visit the resources for economic support for Ohioans.
Information for individuals needing to file unemployment due to a COVID-19 layoff.
To file for unemployment due to a COVID-19 related layoff, please go to the Ohio Department of Job & Family Services
For information about unemployment benefits and COVID-19, please go to the Ohio Department of Job & Family Services
Here are some quick facts about filing for unemployment due to a COVID-19 layoff from the Ohio Department of Job & Family Services.
- Individuals who are partially or totally unemployed due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak may qualify for unemployment benefits.
- Individuals who are under mandated quarantine or isolation as requested by the employer, medical professional, or by a local health authority, he/she may qualify for unemployment benefits.
- Eligible individuals will be paid for their first week of benefits and will not be required to serve the traditional one-week waiting period. Claimants will, however, be required to file a claim for each week that they are unemployed.
- Eligible individuals must meet the weekly requirements that they be “able and available for work,” however, the requirement that they actively search for work while receiving benefits has been waived.
- Eligible individuals are also exempt from completing traditional reemployment requirements.
- Individuals who decide to self-quarantine and quit their job, will not be eligible for unemployment benefits.
For businesses facing tough financial times, please visit the Union County Chamber of Commerce’s COVID-19 Resources and Assistance Page for a robust listing of resources geared at helping businesses and their employees. https://www.growunioncountyohio.com/covid
Information for employers regarding coronavirus and unemployment insurance can be found at the Ohio Department of Job & Family Services has Coronavirus and Unemployment Insurance: Employer Information